Sunday, July 17, 2005

April / May / June 2005

I am living in a cabin on a coral reef cliff with the ocean lapping at the foot of my bed, surrounded by landscaped paths of broken coral bones and flowering tropical plants and banana trees. Roosters from nipa huts around me wake me up in the morning before I snorkel to rinse off a night's worth of sweat from my hair and my skin. I collect my thoughts in a rope hammock swaying between banyan trees and wave down to the sea kayaks and outrigger boats that stop to say hello every morning.
I am not from here, but I am fully Cebuana by blood, and feel oddly comfortable in these surroundings. I am on a steady diet of fish, mangoes, bananas and rice.
My life revolves around a diving schedule, and I spend the hours in between expunging nitrogen from my blood, writing, smoking, training, stargazing and dreaming. The view beneath the water of life in the ocean stuns me every day. My friends are the fisherman and little girls of Panagsama Beach.

No comments: