Thursday, August 28, 2008

Obama DNC Acceptance Speech

Moving rhetoric at the DNC.

I consider this the first presidential election to accurately represent my generation, having grown up in a community outside of Chicago, where my classmates and I were of the first of many different ethnicities to represent our cultures in largely white communities. It was an undeniably historic moment to watch him break through the historically untouched demographic of the power structure of our country and step into the role as a presidential candidate. "I know I don't fit the profile..." - I know how he feels.

I'm not for Obama because of his race, just as I was not for Hillary Clinton because she is a woman. I am for him because he is a critical thinker with principles derived from an unusual upbringing, and a tough but peaceful nature. My opinion doesn't matter really - I'm from Illinois and he's got us in the bag.

He evoked Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King Jr. towards the rousing end of his speech, which was what I was watching for. It is a pleasure to listen to an excellent orator.

And some of his last remarks were fitting for the theme of spiralling onward, and moving forward:

"We could have heard words of anger and discord,
told to succumb to the fear and frustrations,
but to people of every creed and color
Our destiny is inextricably linked
we cannot walk alone, we shall always march ahead
we cannot turn back
not with so much work to be done

We must pledge... to march into the future."

No comments: